3 Reasons You Should Want Your Child to Wait to Have Sex
What are you going to teach your children about waiting to have sex? Maybe you think, It’s unrealistic to expect them to wait until marriage, especially now that people get married so much later. Or, maybe you prefer for them to wait, for health reasons, emotional reasons, or religious reasons. No matter what you believe, research shows that the longer children wait, the better off they will be as adults. So have you talked to your children about your views on waiting? Make it a priority to have that talk soon.
Use iMOM’s Waiting For Sex TALK Conversation Starters to discuss the topic with your children. Also, consider the reasons below for why you should want your children to wait to have sex.
1. Physical Reasons:
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Risk for abortion
- Risk of physical abuse in immature sexual relationships
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases Risks and Consequences
2. Emotional Reasons:
- Lack of maturity to handle physical pressures and requests
- Lack of maturity to handle emotions following sex
- Risk of emotional abuse from sex partner in immature sexual relationships
- Girls are more likely to have lower self-esteem after having sex
3. Relational Reasons:
- Individuals who have sex after marriage rate their relationship stability, sexual quality, and relationship satisfaction all higher than those who did not wait.
- Sexual bonds can make it more difficult to leave an unhealthy relationship.
- Other healthy relationships can suffer when teens are having a sexual relationship.
Related Resource: Premarital Sex: Are You Comfortable Talking to Your Child About Sex?
© 2013 iMOM. All Rights Reserved. Family First, All Pro Dad, iMOM, and Family Minute with Mark Merrill are registered trademarks.