5 Ways to Help Your Child Succeed in Life
When we think about how to help our children succeed in life, we often think about things like helping them do well in school and giving them opportunities to play sports or a musical instrument. But there are other things we can do to help our children succeed. These 5 ways have little to do with them, and more to do with us.
1. Believe. We can help our children reach their potential, and reach beyond it, by showing them we believe in them.
2. Forgive. It’s easy to look back over our parenting and see the things we did wrong, and the choices that could’ve been better. When you get into this mode, forgive yourself and remember that even your bad decisions were motivated by love. And by showing your children you can forgive yourself, they’ll learn that making mistakes is common to all of us.
3. Regroup. Okay, so maybe the way you thought you should handle your child turned out to be not so good. Well, now’s the time to come up with plan B, C, or D! The point is, you need to be ready to change your approach if it’s not working.
4. Love. The challenges of parenting can be hard on a marriage. Instead of seeing your husband as your enemy, see him as your most valuable ally in helping your child succeed. No one will love your child like you and your husband, so keep your marriage strong so your child will have the daily benefit of that support.
5. Outlast. When the going gets tough in parenting, you might feel an urge to just throw in the towel and let things unfold on their own. Don’t do it. Stretch yourself to go deeper. Fight for your child. Talk to his teachers. Ask that doctor another question. Research the best way to help your child. You can do it!
© 2014 iMOM. All Rights Reserved. Family First, All Pro Dad, iMOM, and Family Minute with Mark Merrill are registered trademarks.