7 Ways to Adore Your Husband
Let’s face it, who doesn’t want to be adored? Men, especially, crave that potent combination of respect and admiration; it’s just the way they’re wired. And, when your husband feels your adoration, he’ll want to be around you and please you more.
Even if you don’t feel like adoring your husband, try some of these 7 ways below and see if your adoration doesn’t inspire him to adore you a bit more, too.
1. Adore Him As Is. Don’t wait to adore him until he’s nicer, makes more money or is more affectionate with you. The key is to love him as he is right now. Even if he’s not 100 percent adorable, accept him as he is and adore him.
2. Adore Him For What He Accomplishes. Sure, you may love and appreciate your husband, but he won’t know unless you tell him. So tell him in specifics: It’s amazing the way you handle all of your responsibilities. How do you do it? You really are such a great dad, our kids just love you. You did an awesome job fixing the garage door. I didn’t even know you knew how to do that.
3. Adore Him As a Sex Object. If you don’t adore him in this area, who will? This is something only the two of you share. Compliment him. You don’t have to wait until you’re in bed together, whisper a compliment at breakfast or just as an aside: “I was thinking about last night and how great…” You get the idea.
4. Adore Him By Listening. The next time you’re around a husband and wife, listen. Does she finish his sentences? Does she interrupt him while he’s telling a story? Does she give him order after order before he can even get a word in? Men process communication differently. It usually takes them more time to formulate their thoughts and get them out. When they do, they take more pauses and speak more slowly. So adore him by listening to him instead of interrupting.
5. Adore Him By Putting Him First. When your kids need you, they need you. You can’t tell your 3 year old to wait while you give your husband a back massage. But, you can make the effort to let your husband knows he’s still a priority. For example, one husband I know told his wife about an upcoming business trip he had in New England. He was excited to take her because he knew how much she loved that area. But, instead of zeroing in on her husband’s intent, she started thinking of things they could do if they brought the kids on the trip. He later told her he was crushed.
6. Adore Him By Not Giving Advice. When your husband opens up to you about challenges he’s having with his business, with his co-workers, or with anything else, try not to jump in and give momish advice. You know how we moms do; we jump in with a solution just to help. Unfortunately, what you intend as advice, he hears as “she doesn’t think I can handle it.”
7. Adore Him So Others Can See It and Hear It. A compliment given at home is one thing; a compliment given in front of others is magnified big time. So the next time you’re out with your husband with friends or family, or even when you’re at the hardware store together, let him hear you complimenting him to others. He’ll try even harder to live up to your adoration of him.
© 2011 iMOM. All Rights Reserved. Family First, All Pro Dad, iMOM, and Family Minute with Mark Merrill are registered trademarks.