Quick and Easy Energy Boosters
- When you wake up, shower with lavender-scented soap—the scent has energizing power.
- Don’t skip breakfast, but don’t eat lots of sugar either. Instead grab a mix of protein, carbs and healthy fat — like an egg on whole-grain toast with a slice of cheese.
- If you need a pick-me-up, have a cup of fragrant herbal tea instead of coffee.
- Take a break. Sit quietly for five minutes, close your eyes and take deep breaths.
- If you’re sliding into a slump, perk up with some citrus! Eat an orange, wash your hands with lemon soap or put on some grapefruit-scented lotion.
- Make sure you get at least seven hours of sleep. If you get enough rest every night you’ll be ready to go the next morning.
- Exercise! Even if you don’t feel like it at the time, getting up and moving will re-energize you and put you in a better mood for the rest of the day. And this can be a fun activity for you to share with your kids.
- Massage your scalp or temples to get your circulation flowing.
- Drink a glass of ice water – did you know you’re supposed to have eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day?
- Have a healthy, high-energy snack. A mix of carbs and protein can provide a prolonged boost to your blood-sugar level, giving you energy for hours. Try nuts, dried fruit such as raisins, whole wheat bagels with peanut butter, or yogurt.
© 2011 iMOM. All Rights Reserved. Family First, All Pro Dad, iMOM, and Family Minute with Mark Merrill are registered trademarks.